Wednesday, December 17, 2008

ready yet?..I don't think so..



This is a pretty mundane scene in our home during weekday evenings. Either sandhya or Divya or both calling us to come clean them after they are done with their potty. Why this requires a mention is because their potty time is when we sit down for dinner. Almost everyday , this stirs up arguments between me and M regarding their ability to clean themselves on their own. M wanted them to start cleaning on their own(one of the biggest reason being that he hates to do it and so he is hurrying to wash off his hands out of this job quickly) I protest every time saying they are not yet ready, have to give them couple of more years to let them do it but M insists I'm standing in their path of getting independent, may be I'm or may be its that I don't want to let go one more of the baby tending job out of my hands. I wanted to cling on to the feeling that they are still babies and I'm their savior. I sometimes wonder why I'm doing this more now when I use to feel so elated at each phase they grew in to from when they were born. I can't say how much happy I was when finally I made them forget bottles and drink from a sipper when they were just 13 or 14 months old which is quiet early, I also started potty training quiet early and was feeling relieved so much when they were all ready to completely forgo diapers by 2 1/2 years (though Sandhya still wets the bed occationally..thats a different story). On the mornings when I get to drop them at school I do everything for them, bath them, wipe them, dress them , I even put the shoes on to their feet..I don't let them do it on their own. I know its not good but I do it thinking its only once in a month or so I get to do this as everyday M just make them do everything on their own. I never got the feeling then that they can go on with bottle or diaper a little longer but why now. The more they show signs of independence and start to "move" away from the need for me the more I tend to cling on to those chores. Is it because of the thought that I'm not going to have any more babies somewhere deep inside that is making me do this..may be it is..any how hearing the "ammaa..I'm done.." from the toilet is priceless for me that I will hold on to as a "feel good" burden for now..


No comments:

Post a Comment