Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Updates

Its been a while since I wrote any post. Sure there's a lot going on with the school year ending. Sandhya and Diva will be officially out K and entering first grade in a few weeks. I was busy with finding summer classes with suitable timings for them. Glad that their care taker is willing to shuttle them to and fro from the classes.

A few weeks back their school put up a performance of "The three Little Piggy Opera".The CDs congaing the songs were sent home well ahead like a month before the performance so that the children can practice through the spring break until the performance date. Of course we had 2 Cds one from each of Sandhya and Divya's class. I had one in the car and one at home. Soon before I realized I had all the songs memorized. I was singing 'em while cooking..working..you name it. Sandhya and Diva were catching up too with their favorite song being "I wanna big fat pig to eat..". They had a lottery in their class for the all the roles and the kids who were not offered any role supposed to be the chorus. It so happened that Sandhya was to be a brick peddler and Divya a mother pig.

I took the day off as the performance timing were different for both of them planning to be present for both of them ( oh yeah ..of course I was looking for reasons to take off from work). I dropped them at school and the plan was that I will be hanging around their class helping the teacher until the performance and then M would join me with camera and stuff at the hall. So far so good..10 mts before Divya's performance M called me to say that he was stuck at work and won't be able to make it and asked to get the camera from his car parked at his office. Now his office is close by but I had doubts if I can make it, that is go pick up the camera and come back within 10 mts. I calculated that it will take sometime for them to set things up on the stage and that it wouldn't start exactly at the said time what with excited 5 year olds lining up I thought. I took a risk and I badly lost it. By the time I reached the hall Divya was already done with her song. What shall I say except to curse myself for running out to pick up the camera, if not recorded atleast I could've watched her sing.

I have the consolation that I was able to take some pictures of her in the costume. She without failing asked me "Amma how did I do?" and I without any hesitation said "It was wonderful Divya". She continued to say that she did well because she could not see me in the audience so she did not feel shy !!!!..

I had ample time before Sandhya's class performance so I took a front prominent seat set myself ready with the camera. I thought of recording the whole thing instead of just Sandhya's part. The moment when Sandhya went to stage for the brick peddler scene the camera shut down as the memory was full. Since we did not have time to charge our video camera I was using the photo camera, the idea was to replace it with extra memory card which I conveniently left it in the car..duh!! I cannot say how stupid I felt at that moment sitting there, but yeah at least I enjoyed watching her who after all those practice stood there until her partner, another girl, started off with wrong lines. It was supposed to be Bricks I sell, Bricks I sell...instead the girl started off like I sell Brick, I sell bricks..Sandhya realizing the error instead of correcting it turned around to look at her partner held her arms tightly and was pulling her arms down. Thankfully her teacher prompted with the right lines and then they completed singing the lines with a big smile and laughter from the audience..

ahh.. well of course its just the beginning I have another 12 years of school performance/concerts may be to attend, I will make it up with the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment