Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stubborn is her other name

Between Sandhya and Divya, the latter is known for her stubbornness in our household. If she had something in her mind and she is not seeing that happening she is a real pain in the B***. She throws tantrums, screams and cry non stop at least minimum for an hour. The problem is once she is upset she wouldn't want to change her mood even when she is offered what she was expecting or would not accept any deviation or substitute from what she was looking for in other words she is totally inflexible. So the usual reaction from us is to ignore her for that hour until she is tired of crying. With that pre text I chanced to experience an interesting episode with her character past weekend.

I usually keep some extra candys in one of top shelf of the kitchen cabinets believing that they won't be able to reach it even if they use a chair. Divya successfully had broken my belief. In the excitement that she was able to grab some candy she had hurriedly popped one in her mouth and ran outside to the backyard. On her way she had dropped one on the rug. Outside she did not expect to see Sandhya , and Sandhya seeing her chew something had asked her what she was eating, Divya as shrewd as she is said she was eating nothing. Suspicious Sandhya ran to me saying Divya is eating something yellow in color and that she is not sharing with her. The immediate panic for me was to search for any missing tablets and such and confirming that nothing like that were lying around I encountered Divya.

Me: Divya, what are you eating/
Divya: Nothing
Me; I see something in your mouth, tell me what you had , I want to know that its not something dangerous
Divya: No, amma , its not dangerous
Me: oh..so what did you have?
Divya: I don't know
Me: You don't know what you ate? then I think we have to the hospital to check it out.C'mon lets go..
Divya: No, Its not poisonous we don't have to go
At this point I saw the dropped candy on the floor and I guessed what had happened. She did not wanted Sandhya or me to know that.
Me: (continuing the conversation)so what shape was it?
Divya: I don't know
Me: did you atleast know what color it was?
Divya: I don't know
Me: Ok. was is tasting sweet?
Divya: No it was tasteless
Me: @#$%^!!!!

I frankly did not know how to pry out the answer from her mouth and make her accept that she indeed ate a candy. I wanted to make her feel that it was ok to have and that she should let me know so that I can watch out that she accidentally did not consume something else thinking it was a candy.

Since I did not know how to proceed. I said that I know what she had eaten and that since she was not honest she has to sit on a time out. She to much of my surprise turned to the wall and sat down without a whine or a word or a sulk. She sat there until I called her get up which was close to 30 mts because usually timeouts in our house are not that strict, they fuss and probably sit for a minute or two and then run away so I forgot about the timeout I gave Divya and when I entered the room after 30 mts she was there still sitting facing the wall. I attributed that purely to her guilt :) I then did all the pampering and advised her to be careful in what she eats and be honest with amma and appa which will only help her. At the end she cried a bit and nodded that she would listen to me. Just before letting her go..I asked her one last time..."Divya, you did eat the yellow candy that I had from valentines day left over right, tell me I won't bother you again?" She stared at me for a moment evaluating and then nodded a big NO and ran out...

No comments:

Post a Comment